The Sisterhood of Imperfect Mothers Project stemmed from a blog post, Let’s Get Real, Sometimes I Break. I described societal views of perfectionism based on the images portrayed through Facebook and Instagram and how my promotion of a healthy lifestyle certainly doesn’t mean that I hit the mark every time. I described some major challenges that I face as a mother to children with special health care needs, especially the emotional challenges that arise from having a daughter with cystic fibrosis.
I invited other mothers to write guest posts describing their own struggles with health and motherhood, and the response has been overwhelming. I’ve learned from my coaching practice that people just want to be heard, and sometimes being heard can be enough to release negative emotions. I know that blogging about personal issues conjures a level of insecurity and vulnerability that I don’t experience while writing about my latest gardening endeavor. But it’s with these deeper posts that I receive the greatest therapeutic benefits. Apparently I’m like everyone else in that I crave time to reflect and an outlet in which to be heard.
Sisterhood of Imperfect Mothers Project
The Sisterhood of Imperfect Mothers Project is all about creating a network of moms who A) crave opportunities for reflection, B) want an outlet to be heard, and C) want to connect with other moms in a non-judgemental way. I’ve created a Facebook Group, that you can request to join, and the purpose of the group is to create a safe space for sharing stories and other interesting health and motherhood-related themes, or for reaching out for support as needed.
The larger project is a series of guests posts (and my own occasional reflections) that will be featured on the Deep Rooted Wellness blog, and then shared through the Deep Rooted Wellness Facebook page and The Sisterhood of Imperfect Mothers Facebook Group.
Guest Post Submissions
If you’re interested in submitting a guest post, please review the following suggestions and email me with your ideas at Leah@deeprootedwellness.com. The submission guidelines may evolve and change with the scope of the project, but they’re pretty general to start us off:
- The Sisterhood of Imperfect Mothers posts are to be about you and how your health/family’s health is impacted by something significant in your life. This “something significant” can be from your past, present or perceived future. We all view health struggles in different capacities, so anything is allowed when it comes to time frames.
- A burden or struggle of any size is still a burden. I spend a lot of time talking about my daughter’s health, which may seem like something major. If you struggle with something that you perceive as being a lesser burden, it’s not insignificant and I’m sure that someone out there can relate. Don’t feel like you have to talk about something major to have a “real” story to share.
- Major life events happen at different scales; there’s no judgement or comparison in our sharing. We all struggle on many levels and that’s what I’m interested in capturing.
- For writing ideas… identify the problem, where the problem originates, how it manifests itself in your family/mom life, and how it impacts your ability (or perception of your ability) to be a good mom.
- Aim to write somewhere around 600-1000 words (for reference, this page is around 625 words). You can certainly share more or less, but this is a good start.
So, that’s it. Let’s see what people have to say!
Thanks for participating in the project. If nothing else, don’t forget to join the Facebook group linked above or sign up for my newsletter to receive updates when someone has shared a new post. I look forward to sharing and growing with you all!